skip to main |
skip to sidebar
It just started raining here. We are under a tornado warning. I can hear the wind a little outside already. Tried to get the dogs to go out. The rain had already started. Berry White ran out and peed, but that's it. I even went out in the rain to try to get them going. Need to take a shower. Have not done so today. Should do it soon just in case we lose power. Can hear some thunder now. May have to shut off the computer soon if the weather gets too bad. May, at least turn it off for the night soon. I'm kind of frustrated because it is going to start hitting at night tonight. It just makes you more nervous. Off for the note. Hopefully I can post tomorrow.
It is 9:47 am on Sunday August 31st. Hurricane Gustav is coming. We may start seeing rain this afternoon to early evening from the outer bands. The intensity at impact and once inland keeps changing. We just have to see what happens. AT this point, most everything is going to be shut-down on Tuesday. We don't know about work and won't know until Tuesday morning. Will the storm be over here? How widespread will the power outages be? We won't know until we get there.
I think the hounds should handle this pretty well. Anna and Berry White are not phased by much. Gus seems to be the same. Dax doesn't like bad weather, so we will see how he does. I am considering giving him a benedryl to help calm him, but I have not decided yet.
We know some people that are leaving or have already left further south. One of our closest greyhound friends is in Kenner in the hospital with her husband who cannot be moved. She will weather the storm there with him. She has some other greyhound people from Gulfport, MS who have offered to stay at her place and care for her hounds. I'm glad someone was able to do that.
Now we continue to wait.
So first Gus, and then to Gustav.
Back on August 12th or 13th, there was a raid by animal control in a nearby town. Link to the story can be found here. Anywway, many animals were taken, including 3 greyhounds. They were very malnourished and underweight. Our group got the greys and is taking care of them now. They now have new names and are working on new lives. The first male is now called Ernie. (they were all retired racers, so we know who they were and I won't get into the backstory too much.) Ernie has already been adopted by our Baton Rouge placement rep's. He is a 3 year old brindle boy. They now have 6 greys in their house! Next is a 4 year old white and brindle female who is now being called Bella. She is being fostered with Dax's brother Bud's family. If things work well, they are considering keeping her. And we are fostering a 3 year old red boy who is now being called Gus. (how ironic huh?) Gus is quite sweet. He is adjusting pretty well. No accidents so far. He doesn't chew or steal. He did a little counter-surfing at first, but we have curtailed that so far. He crates well. He does jump over baby-gates though. He will most likely need a home with another greyhound and with a 6' wood privacy fence. We think he would jump a 4' chainlink with little effort.
And now in Gustav....we have been watching for the past week as things have progressed and now we are preparing for a potential hit. It could be quite a big deal. We are just watching the weather and waiting. We have food until into next week for both us and the hounds. We are far enough inland that we don't have to worry about storm surge, flooding or anything like that. We are just hanging in there. I will try to post throughout the storm if possible, if not as soon as I can once it's over.